Photo: A red fox sitting among native grasses. Photo credit.
Species Spotlight: Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes)
For the last couple years, we have been highlighting many of the different flora that are commonly found in the Rock Creek Watershed. This month we decided to switch it up and focus on one of our favorite fauna that you will see commonly roaming the areas around Rock Creek…the cute, and elusive, red fox!
Porcelain berries may look beautiful, but watch out because these vines can destroy ecosystems!
Invasive Plant Spotlight: Porcelainberry
This month our invasive plant spotlight features a pestering vine with some very pretty berries. Porcelainberry, also known as amur peppervine, is one of Rock Creek Park’s most invasive vine species.
I’ve never really been into Halloween, with all its costumes and ghost stories. While I had not planned on celebrating this Dia de Los Muertos, I may have actually encountered a spirit in Rock Creek Park on Halloween morning.
Did you miss the Rock Creek Gala earlier this month? Have no fear: you can still support Rock Creek Conservancy in our Gala Firesale. These items from our silent auction are still up for grabs, so here’s your chance to buy them now! Whether you’re treating yourself or already thinking about gifts for the holidays, these items will not disappoint.
Native Plant Spotlight: Flowering Dogwood
Dogwood tree in the fall. Photo by https://www.flickr.com/photos/saiberiac/
This month our native plant spotlight focus on the Flowering Dogwood, a tree commonly found in Rock Creek Park that is about to pop with beautiful red colors. In fact, some trees have already begun to turn!
More Articles ...
- RCC Staff's Top 7 Silent Auction Picks for 2017
- Invasive Species Spotlight: Tree of Heaven
- Top Three History Facts about Rock Creek (Before it was Rock Creek)
- Check out this Champion Chestnut!
- Erosion No More!
- Invasive Species Spotlight: Bamboo
- Did You Know Rock Creek Starts in a Golf Course?
- RC3's Three Things We Wish You Knew About Rock Creek
- RC3 is Taking Over the Rock Creek Blog!
- Hunting for Pokemon (and health)
- Blog Submissions are for Everyone!
- Rock Creek Park A-Z
- C is also for Civil Rights
- B is also for Birds
- M is also for Mills